Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Immunization and All

Last week, I brought lil Garrie to her Pedia for her scheduled Rotarix vaccine.  Her Pedia is like the most in-demand Pedia in town!  A long queue of patients is almost always expected in every visit, and I’m sure those parents who patiently waited for their turn wouldn’t mind as the lady pedia has a sunny disposition and apparently, children are not afraid to go near her.  My Garrie loves her clinic – her eyes usually roll with excitement with the clinic’s colorful walls, and I often hear her cooing and giggling…music to mum’s ears, indeed! 

Anyway, going back to the vaccine thingy… Garrie had her Rotarix vaccine, a brand of rotavirus oral vaccine given in a series of 2 doses, and each dose costs Php 2,800 ($66).   According to emedicinehealth.com, “Rotavirus oral vaccine contains up to five strains of rotavirus. Infection with rotavirus can affect the digestive system of babies and young children, causing severe stomach or intestinal illness.  The rotavirus oral vaccine is used to help prevent this disease in children” [Click here to read more about Rotavirus].

Next month, Garrie is scheduled to have her Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine.  Because this vaccine is more expensive than the Rotavirus, her Pedia gave me two options depending on my budget--- a 10-valent vaccine for Php 3,000 ($70) or a 15-valent for Php 4,000 ($93)!!  Too pricey but there’s no better way to protect our baby than provide her as much ‘shields’ as we can. 

Good thing though that here in the Philippines, our babies are privileged enough to avail of free vaccines for Hepa B, DPT, Hib, Polio, Measles and Varicella at our local Barangay Health Centers.   This so-called Expanded Program on Immunization according to Wikipedia began in July 1979, and every Wednesday is designated as immunization day.  Because of this program, hubby and I have saved thousands of pesos which we set aside for vaccines not provided yet by the government. 

On Garrie’s first month, I availed this “right to free vaccine” as I may say so being a taxpayer in my lupang hinirang ^_^.  She had her first shot of a five-in-one vaccine that targets diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus (DPT), hepatitis B and haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).  Just like most vaccines, this Penta thing is given by injection and administered in three doses.  One nurse was holding tiny Garrie while the other nurse was administering the vaccine.  Being a drama queen, I turned my face away and pretended not to hear Garrie’s cry that really hurt me so bad because I know that the least I can do for her at the very moment was wrap her in my arms.  Being a mother in its true sense of word is really not an easy feat.

Hey, moms and moms-to-be! Check this out -- Immunizations for children: What you need to know

2 comments: