Friday, September 23, 2011

How Our Garrie Has Changed Us

Time really flies when you’re having fun.  Yes, I’m having the time of my life and I’m enjoying every moment of being a mother!  It’s been an amazing and emotional experience that I will never ever trade for anything else in this world.  I just absolutely love everything about being a mother and a wife.

It won’t be long before our Garrie turns 1, but before I’d get busy with all the birthday preps, let me share with you how our little tot has changed our lives…for the better:
1.  Time is a scarce commodity.   It’s a bittersweet realization that becoming a mother means giving up your most-valued ‘me-time’.  After almost a year of being a mommy, I have embraced with open arms the fact that I no longer own my time and I can no longer sleep 8 to 10 hours each day, or for as long as I wanted.  I remember I had to wake up every 2 to 3 hours during the first 3 months to feed Garrie.  To be honest, it was one of the most exhausting experiences I had as a new mother, probably next to childbirth.

2.  Grocery budget increases by 60%.  I hope the number does not scare you out of your wits, LOL.  Once a baby joins the family, expect that a big chunk of your grocery budget goes to milk (if you’re not breastfeeding), baby foods other than milk, bags of diapers, baby soap (since baby’s skin is very sensitive at this stage, mild baby soap is essential), vitamins and water, among others.  For Garrie, she is using distilled water per her pedia’s advice.  Since our grocery budget has increased exponentially, Hub and I are now very particular with every peso that we could save, so we always go for the cheapest yet trusted brands in the market.

3.  “Shit happens”.  Yes, it does every day, and it sometimes comes in green, but most of the time in brown or yellow mustard-like.  LOL!  For almost a year of having a baby, I am proud to say that I have mastered the art of cleaning shit, oops, I mean poop off my baby’s bottom! 

4.  Unleash the “DIVA” in you.  This is the time you’ve been waiting for --- unleash your hidden talent and sing your heart out to Disney’s I Love You Barney song or Tomorrow by the little orphan, Annie.  Seriously, even if I now have a baby, I still believe that I’m never too old to sing nursery rhymes.  And this applies to all Daddies, too!  The Hubb has mastered a couple such as Hickory Dickory Dock and The Farmer in the Dell.  But every time he sings these songs, Garrie gets cranky, LOL! Peace dady yo!

5.  Appreciate the simple joys in life ---         
    • listening to Garrie’s nursery rhymes and the cute sounds she makes like ma-my, da-da, brrrr, arrrr, naaah, whaaa are truly music to dady and momy’s ears
    • our weekend church and mall time
    • our Sunday night quick drive for an ice cream cone
    • daddy’s sweet kiss ♥v♥
How about you, how has your baby(/ies) changed you?  Tell me. 


P.S.  Special thanks to my friend and fellow blogger, Aura for editing the 1st pic above. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love how you wrote this mommy Carmz! The reality may sound pathetic but it is sweeter with a baby around. There are plenty of mothers who can relate to this. My personal fave among your list is #3, "Shit happens"(a lot indeed) and mom deal with it no matter how yucky it could get. A good metaphor for for mother's life.

    Despite mommy's endless whines and challenge, one thing is sure though, having a baby makes a woman filled with wisdom, strength and patience...God knows how much more as the baby grows old.

    ReplyDelete