Sunday, July 24, 2011

8-month old Garrie has Varicella

I know it’s been quite a while since my last post; I was just too lazy and ‘busy?! (eyes rolling)’ to update my blog (another classic excuse LOL).  Anyway, I just thought I need to share this to all moms out there…


My poor Garrie got Varicella or commonly termed as chicken pox when she was 8-months and 3-weeks old.  The virus was too excited to hit on her while she’s still 4 months shy of her scheduled Varicella vaccine on the 12th month.  On the first day, she vomited twice and lost her appetite, even for her milk.  I thought that was just one-of-those-teething-dilemmas she’s been going through lately, but the second day proved me wrong.  She’s having low-grade fever and red blisters are starting to come out.  I initially thought those were just normal skin rashes or flea bites until the pedia told me it was indeed chicken pox but a mild case, and was given 4 different kinds of medicine (I forgot the names but will try to post soon).  The 1st night after she was able to take the meds was nightmare!  Garrie’s frequent screams and cries did not allow the entire household to sleep.  My heart was torn to pieces as I see my little baby trying to express thru her loud cries the hell she’s going through that very moment.  It didn’t help that I have a support system through my father, sisters, her yaya, my mom & pap-in-laws (hubby was out for an out-of-town project)… I was too weak to handle the situation, and yes, I did cry!  I could only wish I had the power to ward off my tiny baby from that damn illness!  The fever was gone on the third day while the itchy, red blisters stayed on for 4 days until they all naturally dried up and crusted after a week or two.

It was too unfortunate for my Garrie to have that illness at such an early age.  I know she was too small to bear the crazy itch and pain.  But, a lot of friends are telling me it’s OK that she had it while her skin’s outer layer (dermis) have not been fully developed with elastic, so the scars will just fade away.  True enough, after 3 weeks, there were only a couple of visible scars left on her legs, but other than that, her skin is back to perfectly smooth and healthy.  And my Garrie?  She’s back to her normal happy sunshiny little self. J
(1st pic)so sick-looking after 4 days
(2nd pic) 0.6kg lighter after a week 
Here are a few facts about varicella:
1.       Before a rash appears, the baby will have loss of appetite, slight to high fever and colds for some.  The next day, small red bumps that quickly change into clear fluid-filled blisters on a pink base start to appear.  The moment you spot these bumps, CALL YOUR DOCTOR immediately.  These blisters spring up as the illness progresses.

2.       Keep your baby comfortable on a bed and give lots of fluids (especially milk).  Should you need to use droppers to forcibly feed the baby, then do so. In my case, it was too much effort that really tested my patience.  But heck, that is exactly what moms are expected for, right?

*For a healthy baby, Chicken pox caused by varicella zoster virus is more of a nuisance to the baby than a threat.  This virus is highly contagious so the patient should be placed in isolation until the incubation period is over to prevent transmission to others in close contact.  If baby is exposed to this virus, normally it takes 14-16 days before blisters start showing up.

*To prevent this virus, a Varicella vaccine is available to be administered to babies 12 to 15 months of age, with a second dose at 4 to 6 years.

3.       Administer the meds prescribed by the doctor religiously even if it means waking up every 4 hours, or not sleeping at all.  Monitor the baby’s temperature and if it gets too high, call the doctor.

4.       Use cold compress to reduce swelling and itch.  If your baby has chicken pox around or in the genitalia, ensure to keep the area as clean and dry as possible.  When bumps start to dry up and scab, keep your baby from scratching them.  For older kids, a Calamine lotion or an OTC antihistamine helps the itching but for my baby, cold compress was enough.

5.       Try not to break down (but in my case, I did huhu) in front of your baby.  Try to be her source of strength.


Click here to know more about Varicella and how to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment